This section has information about various aspects of type 1 diabetes, and specific things to consider at school. If this content is new for you, a good place to start is with this series of short animated videos about key concepts in managing diabetes at school.
If there is a student with diabetes in your school or classroom, check out these resources:
- Type 1 diabetes: An overview
- Low blood sugar: What it is, and what to do
- High blood sugar: What it is, and what to do
- Understanding blood glucose (blood sugar)
- Preparing for and preventing emergencies
- Glucagon: What it is and how to use it
If you are responsible for providing support to a student with diabetes, consult these resources as well:
- Insulin: What school staff should know
- Food and type 1 diabetes: What school staff should know
- Physical activity and type 1 diabetes: What school staff should know
- Monitoring blood sugar: What, when and how
Understanding diabetes technology
Online learning module for educators and school staff
The Canadian Paediatric Society has produced an online course that covers all aspects of managing diabetes at school. It’s free for educators and school staff in Canada.